Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Recipe - Veggie Sloppy Joe's

So our beloved Chicago Bears didn't win yesterday....we were bummed, but they did have a great season and no one ever expected them to do so well.  I made veggie sloppy joe's for lunch yesterday to share with those that came over to watch the game.  I've made these a lot and don't have a recipe written down, so it's always just a little different.  These were a huge hit (and keep in mind almost everyone eating them are meat eaters) so I thought I'd post the recipe.  They're as low-fat as you want them to be, cheap, and good for you because the beans & rice provide a complete protein.....I hope you enjoy these!

1 onion
1 green bell pepper
1 cup of uncooked rice (I use white, but brown would work just as well)
2 cans of pinquitos - do not drain (these come in a sauce similar to chili beans)
1 (14 oz can) of tomato sauce
1 cup of barbeque sauce (to taste really, this is about what I put in)
2 heaping Tablespoons of pickle relish
1/4 cup (to taste) liquid smoke
3 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne
Salt (I use Kosher)

Saute the chopped onion & green pepper in canola/vegetable oil and salt (the salt helps the veggies cook faster - a great tip I picked up from watching so many cooking shows).  After a few minutes add the spices and cook for a few minutes.  Then add the beans in liquid, tomato sauce,  BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's), pickle relish and liquid smoke.

Cheddar cheese - shredded, for topping
Package of burger buns

No comments:

Post a Comment