Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Recipe - spinach & chickpea curry

Last night I made spinach & chickpea curry.  I was really happy with how it turned out.  I served it over white rice (not basmati, although I'm sure that would be great too) and with flatbread.  Here is the recipe:

1 diced onion
3 chopped garlic cloves
Minced fresh ginger (probably a 1.5 inch piece)
Coriander (1 tsp, approx)
Garam Masala (1 tsp, or a little more)
Cayenne (to taste)
Salt (1 tsp, maybe more, I kept adding as I went)
1 large can (28 oz, I think) crushed tomatoes
1 frozen package chopped spinach
1 can chickpeas (garbonzo beans)
1 can coconut milk
Fresh cilantro (1/2 cup, to taste)

Saute the onion, then after a few minutes add the ginger & garlic.  "Bloom" the spices in this mixture for a minute or so.  Add the tomatoes, spinach & drained/rinsed chickpeas.  Add the can of coconut milk & adjust seasonings.  The amounts of spices are just estimates - adjust to your liking.  I typically use Kosher salt, so the amount I added may be more than you'd need if you used regular salt.  Add the cilantro just before serving.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really good! I will have to try that. I am trying to get into cooking more; I just finished making some peanut-butter chocolate bars.

    ReplyDelete