Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Movie review - West Side Story, 1961

Julian went to a metal show on Saturday night.  I decided to stay home and watch a movie I knew he wouldn't want to watch with me, West Side Story.  This is a movie I'd never seen, although I may have tried once before I think.  It came out in 1961, and you can tell by some of the dialog (they use "Daddio" a few times, for instance).  I have to preface my review by saying that I really felt I should see this movie, it seemed kind of an essential movie to watch as a person that loves classic films.  However, I've never been a big fan of musicals.

I very nearly stopped watching this movie early on, but I persevered and I'm glad.  It really does feel like a Broadway musical that was filmed.  I've seen plenty of other filmed musicals, but this one really felt different.   I can see really liking West Side Story as a live musical.  But as a film it was hard to get used to. It was hard to get used to these tough gang members dancing around and singing. 

The story revolves around two rival gangs - the Jets and the Sharks.  The Jets are the white guys and the Sharks are the Puerto Ricans.  The younger sister (Maria) of the head of the Sharks (played by Natalie Wood) falls for a Jet gang affiliate (Tony).  These gangs don't like each other to begin with, and there are a lot of racial undertones - they should each be with their own kind.  There are some good songs and definitely some great dancing.  The outfits are really cool - the Jets are typically dressed in pastels, while the Sharks are typically in black and more primary colors.  It was kind of funny to hear Natalie Wood affect a Puerto Rican accent.  And a lot of the actors that played the Sharks looked like caucasians that had a lot of dark makeup on.  That definitely dated the movie. 

Overall I was glad I saw this movie, it was emotional, especially the ending.  But I will admit to picking up my knitting project here and there, especially during some of the longer songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment