Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

This week.......

Last week was fairly uneventful.....We did go to Accanto for lunch on Saturday.  This is the cafe side to Genoa on Belmont (the fancy fixed price place).  We'd been to the cafe once before, for dinner, and weren't all that impressed.  Lunch was amazing though!  I got a tuna sandwich.  It came on a delicious baguette.  I thought it would be too crusty, but it was so soft and yummy.  Looks like most of their sandwiches come with pickled veggies - that are really good.  Julian got a pulled boar sandwich, he said it was similar to a pulled pork, but maybe a little "gamier".  Hopefully a meat eater knows what that means, I don't think I do.  But he loved it.  We were so impressed.  We've added this to another favorite place we can walk to.  It's time for another chance on dinner at Accanto.

Saturday night we went to the Bagdad and saw Due Date.  This was similar to Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  I'd heard it was, and I would agree.  But it was still really good - different enough from PT&A that I stopped comparing the two after a while.  I recommend it - I laughed pretty hard.

That brings me to an interesting observation.  While we were at the Bagdad we noticed a blind guy went to the movie as well.  We both thought that seemed odd.  Do blind people "watch" movies too, and just follow the dialogue?  I guess so.  Seems like it would work for some movies better than others.  Due Date was a simple comedy, I could see enjoying it by just listening.  No silent movies for blind people though!  Boy did they miss out.

That made me think of when we went to Walla Walla a year and half or so ago.  We rented a tandem bike to ride around their beautiful wine county.  We'd already rented the bike and were waiting for them to bring it up to the front.  While we're standing there a really tall blind guy walks in with a very short girl and says he wants to rent the tandem bike.  We just looked at each other because we'd already rented it (little did he know) and were really wondering how a huge blind guy was going to ride a bicycle (even tandem).  Once we tried getting on that bike we really had a good laugh at that idea because we struggled with trying to ride it and we're two (fairly) able bodied, sighted, people.  I could only imagine this tiny girl up front trying to navigate this big bike with a blind giant person on the back......I kind of wish I'd seen that.

No comments:

Post a Comment