Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Knitting - my new favorite hobby

I'd been wanting to learn how to knit for a really long time.  I finally took a class at Yarn Garden (lower Hawthorne) a few months ago.  The class was a beginner learn how to knit a hat class.  It was 3 weeks and I did complete it by staying late the last class.....I cannot stand an unfinished project!  I wanted to keep my newly learned skills fresh, so I sought out another (hopefully easy) project I could do on my own.

I found a cool pattern on the Internet for an apple hat, and decided to knit that for my niece, Scarlett (see pictures).  I really messed it up a few times, after putting a lot of time into it.  But I learned so much by plugging away at it.  There were weeks that I didn't even pick it up, but I finally decided I needed to actually finish it before winter was over and she'd be too big for it by the following winter. 

I learned: how to knit in the round (my first hat was done on circular needles, but not in the round - that really messed me up with this project!), how to knit on double point needles, how to decrease stitches and how to bind off.  I finally finished the hat just over a week ago and gave it to Scarlett last weekend when her mommy (my sister, Anne) and daddy (Todd) brought her over.  She loved it!  Not!  She wasn't feeling well (teething and maybe a cold), so she pulled it right off every time I chased her around trying to put it on her head.  But Todd got her to wear it so I could take some pictures right before they left.  Look at those tearful eyes!  Cute!!

My next project is a baby blanket.  And I'm taking another 3 week class at Yarn Garden starting on March 3rd that will be knitting a baby sweater.  Dog sweaters shouldn't be far off!

No comments:

Post a Comment