Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dogs....You know I love em!

I remember my good friend, Jane, saying that if we ever had a kid we'd get rid of our dogs.  Of course I said, 'No way, we'd never do that!'.  She came back with "Well, at least the most annoying one".  Well she knew more than I, she was a new mother at the time.  We haven't gotten rid of one, but I wish we could daily.  The biggest problem is that two of our little darlings like to pee on new things, and lately that's been baby stuff.  We've discovered they've been peeing on all sorts of things: new stuff for Hank (even before he was born), Christmas presents (two years in a row), and most recently the new rug in for Hank's room. 

I've been pretty frustrated with the dogs, and pretty much ok with getting rid of at least one of them (Iggy), who I think is the main problem - he starts peeing on stuff and Pugsley has to pee over it.  The doggy diapers (our attempt at a solution) have been a huge burden, especially when you already have a kid in diapers, and they're not really a solution. 

So we had a bit of a fight a couple weeks ago and Julian thought he'd teach me a lesson by throwing all the dogs outside without their collars.  Of course they didn't stick around, and we both ended up running around the neighborhood trying to find them while I was trying to bake a cake for our friend's baby shower.  He did eventually find them, and I was actually relieved and agreed not to bring up giving them away again. 

But I have to admit I think about it every day - which is the most annoying one I'd give away?  I don't know, every day a different one would earn that honor.  The other morning I stepped on a dried turd on Hank's rug (I didn't see the other piles in the dark).  Tonight I took them up to our bedroom (where they're crates are) the other two ran into Hank's room!  So I ended up having to crawl around on my hands and knees in the dark (Hank is asleep) to make sure no one peed or poohed on the carpet.  I guess they're hoping they become our babies again....I hope they do some day.  In the mean time I'll work on my patience, because I'm going to need it.

1 comment:

  1. Our dog is SO ANNOYING. Not since my son was born, but since he was a few months old, and it just gets worse. He has always been whiny and overly excited when people come to visit, but now he goes off anytime the toddler cries or when he wakes up from a nap. It is like he is trying to alert me to what is happening right in front of me. He stresses everyone out, especially my husband, and turns get-togethers and other fun times into burdens. He ran away once and I was really upset, and so happy when he came home. He is calm at night (after the kid goes to bed... hmmm...) and it reminds me of what he used to be like most of the time. I WANT to like him, but he makes it so hard. If I so much as put on my socks, he assumes he is getting a walk and FREAKS OUT. He is taken out multiple times a day but still acts like he just won the damn lottery every. single. time.

    It's really confusing because he gets along great with the kid. They play tug and my son can even throw his rope for him. We make a point of having my son give him treats and he isn't rough with him at all. I really wanted my kid to grow up with a dog but I'm starting to doubt if it can be THIS dog. :(

    ReplyDelete