Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Day care reviews: Joyful Noise, YMCA, Kindercare, Belmont Academy, CCLC and Grandma's Place

We've been looking for a day care to get Hank into as of June because my sister, Anne, who's currently watching him, is going to have another baby in August.  Touring day cares takes a lot of time, so now that I've done the work I thought I'd share my thoughts with you.....in case you're looking for day care some day too, or are just curious.

All of the day cares have a 1 employee to 4 kids ratio, and all tuition rates are for full-time (5 days/week) infants.  Tuition decreases as the child ages, beginning with a lower toddler rate (about 2 years old).

Joyful Noise/Citykids 1120 SW 5th Ave.

This was the first day care I toured.  I was very impressed, and they were the only NAEYC accredited center (a very difficult accreditation to get).  The downside is it's hard to get into, partly due to their accreditation, but also because it's available to City of Portland employees first, general public second.  As such it's 75% City employee kids that go here.  The menu looked the best of all the centers, and they have a small outside play area.  I really liked this place, if you can wait, or think ahead and get your kid on the waiting list way before they're born!  The wait is currently 1 year-18 months.  Tuition is $1,136/mo.

YMCA 601 SW 2nd

I did not like this place.  At all.  I didn't bother getting much info from them.  The center director forgot our appointment and seemed put out to give me a tour.  She was also really short with an employee that asked her a question while I was with her.  The employees were all older women, and my impression was they didn't really seem to enjoy their jobs.  Tuition is about $1,100 per month and there is a wait, although not as long as Citykids. 

Kindercare 1400 SW 5th

I liked this place.  I got a good feeling from it, and the employees (all of who were younger women) seemed to have a good bond with the kids.  Enrollment was small, which is a big plus, but I found out why - it's expensive!  They're the only ones to give a tuition schedule on a weekly basis.  I think that's because it doesn't sound quite so spendy that way.  $332/week - not too bad.  Right?  Wrong.  For 52 weeks of day care you'll pay $1,440 per month!  Yikes!  They do offer US Bank employees a 10% discount, and you only pay 1/2 tuition if your kid is out all week (vacation credit).  But this still puts Kindercare as the most expensive center I looked at.  Otherwise it seemed like a nice program and good facility.  They had a nice outside play area, but no inside gym.  The center was compartmentalized because it was an office building before it became a day care.

Belmont Academy 3841 SE Belmont

Belmont Academy brings to mind one word: "gross".  Ew.  I do not recommend it, and they couldn't pay me to put my kid here.  It was set up very strange - spread out in lots of old buildings.  It's also very open to the public, and right on 39th & Belmont, so surrounded by lots of walking traffic.  That scares me.  This place was dirty, and it really turned us off.  I'd decided I'd never consider this place within the first 5 minutes.  You do not take your shoes off in the infant area (I asked if I should, and was told, "oh, don't worry about it").  Everything was old and run down.  The toddler area was set up in a weird basement area that didn't even seem legal (I'm short and I could barely stand up straight down there).  Tuition is $955/month.

CCLC (Children's Creative Learning Center)  2215 SE Gladstone

This center was rather impressive.  They're owned by the same corporation that owns Kindercare, so it is a big corporate day care, but it doesn't feel like it.  This center is in a remote industrial area near the train tracks, behind the Fred Meyer corporate offices.  Each CCLC is tied to a big corporation, Freddy's in this case.  A big percentage of the Freddy employee's kids go here.  The center is set up like a school, with each age group in their own classroom.  The employees seem to like their jobs, and we were impressed that during nap time all of the kids were asleep at the same time.  The curriculum seem solid.  They did not provide field trips for the older kids.  There were a few nice outside play areas (no inside one).  We got a good feeling about this place.  Tuition is approx $1,100 per month.  They only provide full time day care, there are no part-time rates.

Grandma's Place @ Clark Family Center  2740 SE Powell 

I saved the best for last...the winner is: Grandma's Place!  We liked CCLC and Grandma's place the best overall.  But Grandma's Place won out.  The building is very new, so everything is clean and in good shape.  The day care is in the Catholic Charities building, but not affiliated with the Catholic church.  The employees really seemed to like their jobs, and to genuinely like the children.  The layout is very open, this is not a classroom setting.  That was probably the only semi-downside to me - it was a little noisy for this reason.  But I saw infants napping, so they seem to get used to it.  The menu looked tasty, and formula is included in the tuition.  They use sign language with the infants (with charts on the walls), this was a big plus.  They take the kids on field trips once they get older.  They have a Spanish language program for the older kids.  They also have a really nice indoor gym, which is pretty rare.  They are building an annex next door, which will be done this Spring, and it will provide an outside play area as well.  Tuition is $973/month.  Although it turned out to be one of the less expensive places, we made up our mind without any tuition consideration.  Also - this was the only place that the center director called me to see how the tour had gone.

5 comments:

  1. I share your sentiments re; Belmont Academy. I remember walking in to the infant room and immediately turning around. TOUR OVER! We had a very good experience at the Kindercare in Lake Oswego. Now Anton is in Montessori. I think that's a pretty great place for kids when they get a little older, like 3+...just be sure to do a couple of random unplanned drop ins. Congrats! Good daycare is a lifesaver and I think it helps not only the parents but the kiddos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to watch Hank too :) Oliver needs a little buddy to kick it with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this awesome description of tours. I wish there was more out there like this. I also liked CCLC. I'm really surprised about the Grandma's Place review. I never even gave them a chance because the name just turned me off for some reason. Going to have to check them out.
    Just to add to your list, I had my first son at Discoveryland on 60th and Belmont which was good in that it has a covered play area and outside play area, lots of indoor classroom space and it's somewhat affiliated with the 7th Day Adventist Church that houses it so it's vegetarian. The kids put on a yearly Christmas show which is really fun and it has a nice community feel. However, there were some teachers that I wasn't fond of and I'm not too sure if I'd recommend the infant room as it seemed really sterile, not a very warm and cozy environment where I'd expect my baby to be in.
    I have toured Woodward Montessori which I thought was terrific. It was clean, organized, and all 10 of the kids during my visit seemed engrossed in whatever they were doing. The teacher/owner seemed exceptionally patient and caring. It is a small center though with shorter than normal work day hours but the tuition is pretty reasonable.
    I visited Joyful Noise which is in an odd neighborhood by I-84 and Halsey near 82nd. In comparison to Woodward Montessori, it was much more chaotic. Kids were climbing all over the furniture and the teacher seemed a bit worn out and frazzled. There's a large outdoor area though and they have three separate spaces for the kids. The tuition was very reasonable but I'm not sure I could commit to this place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Heidi! I'm looking into child care options and I was wondering if you are still happy with Grandma's Place. An update on your experience thus far would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would also love an update!

    ReplyDelete