Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Mother's Little Helper...A Box Wine Review

I love me some wine....My bowling name was "Wineaux" for a reason.  I'm no wine snob either.  While I would prefer to drink a $50 bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir every night, my budget instead is more box wine.  And luckily box wines have come far.  Franzia is still sold, but it's also easy to find some pretty good stuff. 

Plus box wine runs in my family.  I remember going up to visit my grandparents and there always being a box of Franzia in the fridge.  Years ago I remember my Grandpa saying that he was looking forward to a "nice box of box wine" at a family gathering.

The first two months of Hank's life definitely drove me to drink.  He cried nearly non-stop when he was awake.  Boy, did I look forward to some wine every night!  So I've had time to sample quite a few box wines, here are the most recent ones.   Some are definitely worth buying, some are not. 

I wouldn't say they are each really worth their own review.  Instead, I've ordered them - from the one I liked least, to the one I like the best.  All of them are available at Fred Meyers and/or Safeway.  They are always on sale, and generally run between $15-25.  There are the equivalent of 4 bottles of wine in each box and it lasts for a month or so after opening (although not for me!).

Not so good.  Very dry.  Leaves you parched.

I don't remember much about this one.  Just ok.
Pretty good.  Pretty flat though.

I think I've had every Bota Box by now.  This is a new one called "Redvolution".  This was the runner up.
This is my definite favorite - it's a Spanish wine available at the Hollywood Freddy's. 


No comments:

Post a Comment