Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Monday, March 12, 2012

The lowdown on Shellac manicures

I'm sure you've heard of Shellac manicures by now?  They're a gel-based nail polish that adheres to your nails like crazy.  You have to get it done via a manicure, this is not something you can buy at Sally Beauty Products and do at home (yet). 

I never get manicures - I've had maybe two in my life.  I thought I'd give a Shellac manicure a try and got one at Dosha on 34th & Hawthorne just over 2 weeks ago.  It was $35.  Although it costs $15 to get it removed!  Doh, the fine print!

The process is exactly the same as a regular manicure - there is a selection of polishes to choose from (see picture below), so choose wisely since you're stuck with it for a while.  After the normal part of a manicure (filing the nails, pushing the cuticles back, etc.) they put a special base coat on your nails.  After every layer you put your hands in a black light nail dryer.  I believe the black light is integral - although the manicurist had no idea.  Then they put 2 layers of the polish on.  Then a special top layer.  Voila!

So how does it last, and is it worth the money?  It does last, and yes, I think it's actually worth it.  If you chip your nail you can just file it.  I do a ton of dishes and after more than 2 weeks there are no chips, and it's not peeling.  But your nails do grow out, so that's really what makes you want to get them either re-done (another $35) or have the polish removed ($15).  Dosha does remove the Shellac for free if you get another Shellac manicure.  Apparently it takes 100% acetone to remove this stuff, which I hear you can buy at Sally Beauty.  I've been warned - do not pick at it!  It will literally take the top layer of your nail off with it.

If you know of a place that is a better deal for a Shellac manicure please leave a comment!  Maybe somewhere that doesn't charge to remove it?

Here is the selection of Shellac polishes

The black light nail dryer contraption

All done!

Here are my nails about 1.5 weeks after I got it done - looking good!

Here are my nails, about 2.5 weeks after I got it done - you can see they're starting to really grow out.  Otherwise looking ok.

1 comment:

  1. I just heard about this and wanted to do it next time. I had no idea it cost to get it removed. I goto Princess Nails on Holgate & 39th and they charge $10 on top of your manicure for the shellac. ($30 reg, $35 french) I'm going to wait and see how long yours last before I get one. That was some scary info about peeling your nail off!! yikes!

    ReplyDelete