Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Top things I'll miss after Hank's birth & what I look forward to most

Overall my pregnancy has been really easy.  I had no morning sickness, just some food aversions, which quickly went away.  I did have some pretty bad headaches brought on by the change in hormones through probably my 4th month.  But once I found out I could still take aspirin and ibuprofen that helped a ton.  Then the headaches finally went away and I've been pretty ailment-free since then (except chronic heartburn).  I haven't had any bloating, my rings and shoes all still fit.  No backaches (due to pregnancy anyway), and almost no stretchmarks even (TMI?).  Oh, and very importantly, no gestational diabetes.  I think the fact that I still exercise 3-4 times per week and am still otherwise active (with the exception of my desk job, of course) has helped with all of these things.  I've only gained about 16-17 pounds and am due in less than 2.5 weeks!  I hope this allows me to fit into my pre-pregnancy pants very quickly.

So here are my top things that I will miss after giving birth to my little Hank:

1) The excitement of knowing I get to meet my little guy (including finding out what he looks like!).
2) Having Hank with me at all times, which will never again be the case after he arrives.
3) Never having an extended period of time off from work again (hopefully, unless it's my choice!).
4) Feeling his movement (up until recently anyway - it was neat at first, now it's way uncomfortable).
5) Having lots of alone time for myself and Julian.  Not as much in store for us in the future!
6) Being able to sleep in on weekends/days off.

Here are the top reasons I cannot wait to give birth to Hank:

1) Meeting my little guy and knowing he's healthy.
2) Having 4 months off from work, the longest I have not worked since prior to working for my Dad (beginning in junior high).
3) Being able to drink wine guilt-free again.
4) No more maternity clothes!!!  Can you say 'bonfire'?
5) Having some energy back - I have been so tired these last few weeks.
6) Being able to bend over comfortably again and generally having my body back to myself.
7) Not having a baby churning up my insides with his insane movements.  The movement has NOT gotten less towards the end for me, it's gotten far more intense and darn uncomfortable.
8) No more doctor's appointments (for me anyway).
9) No more heartburn!
10) No more people asking 'How are you feeling?'.
11) Having this baby off my bladder.  No more having to go pee sometime during the night and being able to go on longer walks without fear of not being able to find a bathroom.

So you noticed that the latter list is a little longer than the former?  Yes, I am ready for Hank to be born any time now!! 

2 comments:

  1. i was fixated on having sushi and a bottle of wine as soon as Anton disembarked from my womb. i kind of miss the baby kicking though...now he just kicks me in the face. so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exercise doesn't prevent gestational diabetes, and sorry to tell you, you won't know if you have stretch marks till a few weeks after you give birth.
    Still not too late to read up on pain management techniques! If a little glass of wine makes you feel guilty now, I suggest you pack 2 bottles of wine and take them to the hospital...tell them it's less detrimental to the baby than an epidural! Which is true! Good luck with everything! Can't wait to meet Hank!

    ReplyDelete