Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Baby stuff on the cheap - the challenge

So most of you know that Julian and I are having a baby (due date is September 8th).  I've set out to try and aquire as much stuff as cheaply as possible.  Once I make something a goal I just latch onto it, kind of like when we got married so many years ago (9/02) and decided it would be a DIY punk rock wedding.  When we decided not to spend too much money on a wedding we really went for it and spent hardly any - yet had the most amazing wedding ever (thanks to our awesome friends and family that pitched in of course).

Plus used and vintage stuff can have so much more character than just buying used stuff that everyone else also has. 

Here is what we've bought so far that is used (and sometimes vintage):
Dresser (I repainted it and put new knobs from Rejuvenation on it)
Bookcase (I repainted this)
Vintage shelving unit (I also repainted this)
Elephant lamp (Julian had to replace the interior lighting, but that was cheap)
Baby Bjorn carrier
Baby monitor
Bathtub
Bouncy seat (identical to the new one already bought, will return new one)
Diaper covers (10 pack for only $35!) for new cloth diapers
Blankets (swaddling, receiving)
Hooded towels
Clothes (all sorts, plus hats, socks & bibs)

Here are things that friends/family have given us so far:
Bassinet (thank you Liby & Krystin)
Breast pump (thank you Liby)
Rocking chair (from Julian's parents many years ago, but getting repainted)
Play chair (thank you Mom) - I'm not sure what these are technically called
Many, many clothes from newborn - 4T (thank you Trang, my lovely boss)

I'm sure we'll have more used stuff to add to the list before this is over!  Plus I will be posting pics of our nursery in progress (Julian's amazing paintings are progressing nicely) and of course once it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment