Welcome to Heidi's blog......Tales of life in Portland with my baby, Hank.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Happy Cinco De Mayo!!! Recipe - Mexican casserole

Here's a recipe for the casserole we made last night.  I didn't even think about the fact that it was Cinco De Mayo today. 

It goes a long way, tastes great and is actually somewhat low in fat.  We ate this with a green salad of diced mango and avocado.  I made a vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon and lime juice, salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cumin.

1 package corn tortillas
1 can of beans (we used pintos)
1 diced onion
salsa verde (probably 1 cup total)
1 diced chipotle pepper (I scaped out most of the seeds, but you can leave them in for more heat)
2 cups pepper jack cheese
1 can of diced tomatoes (undrained) - preferably with chiles
1 pint light sour cream
1/2 cup milk
cilantro (I just chopped up what we had left, probably 1/4 cup)
smoked paprika (1 tsp)
cumin (1.5 tsp)
chili powder (1 tsp)
salt
1/2 lime

Saute the diced onions in oil w/some salt.  Add about half of the spices, the drained & rinsed beans, salsa, tomatoes, chipotle pepper and cilantro. Squeeze the 1/2 lime into mixture.  I meant to add corn to this too and just forgot.  Then make your sour cream mixture in a smallish bowl - wisk sour cream with the milk and other half of the spices.  Spray a 13x9 pyrex and start layering with the corn tortillas, then the bean mixture, sour cream and finally the cheese (but any combo works just as well).  I made I think 3 layers, ending with the corn tortillas and I topped it with some more salsa and the rest of the cheese.  Cover with tin foil and bake in 375 degree oven until bubbly.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment